Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Texas tour

We were invited to speak in Austin, Texas at the Texas Transition conference, February 15-17th. It was an interesting conference as we met a lot of parents and professionals and my book was well received as I spoke on Tuesday the 16th.

We then we moved on to Texas Lutheran University in Seguin, Texas where I did a 15 minute chapel talk. The interesting thing about it was that Dee had a chance to speak to a young lady that had cerebral palsy and she was able to give her encouragement and she was also intrigued by my book.

On Saturday we were invited to a parent support group in San Antonio for children with autism. It was surprising to learn they are fighting hard for rights there in Texas. There were a lot of questions from these parents about how I had gone through the "system" years ago as a person with a disability. I was able to give them the assurance that their teenagers will be okay as they begin to develop their own independance.

On Sunday were were back in Seguin at Faith Lutheran Church were I did a confirmation class with the high school students. We had a very intriguing conversation about persons in their own families that struggle with disability. Both Dee and I walked away with "awe" to see how open these teenagers were to talk about their life and family members who deal with different kinds of disabilities.

On Monday we were invited to "Morgan's Wonderland" in San Antonio. You can read about that on the other post.

We are finally relaxed and were able to take a walk and a boat ride on the "Riverwalk" in San Antonio yesterday--it was sunny but only about 50 degrees.

No folks- we are not getting a suntan as it is cloudy and 39 degrees above,--- cloudy, ---rainy and possible snow today! Oh well- I thought I would get away from the Wisconsin weather but I guess there were other plans!

We will be heading up north again in a few days and stopping in Manhattan, Kansas for couple of days. We will be home soon to our warm balmy 60 degree Wisconsin Sunshine!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment