Monday, February 4, 2013

The Legacy of My Time at Wapo


One of my days at Wapo speaking to the youths.

My tenure began at Lake Wapogasset Lutheran Bible Camp in 1978. I have spoken to thousands of youths there during the past 30 plus years.

My first time at Wapogasset was in August in 1976 to pick up a key for Director Loren Teig. One of my first conversations was in the camp kitchen with Donna Halverson who was the head cook at that time. That was the beginning of a wonderful relationship with the Halverson family.

I received a letter from Loren to join Lutheran Youth Encounter and Loren was the director of summer teams at that time in 1976. He also was the director of Lake Wapogasset Bible Camp (Wapo). He gave me the opportunity to be involved with Lake Wapogasset in 1978.

In 1978 I began Break Through Inc. a non-profit organization for people to become aware of persons with disabilities throughout the U.S.. (www.bendanderson.com)

That year I began a long term relationship with the camp. I spent my summers helping youths understand people with disabilities. During this time I had the opportunities to meet youth directors and pastors who passed "through the gates" of Wapo. I so appreciate my time with Wapogasset.

In 1992 I was blessed by being honored as one of the "Andersons" to be named for "Anderson Hall" at Wapo.

On March 26th 2006 I married the love of my life, Dee in "Anderson Hall" with a reception at the "Commons" dining hall. She was a long term volunteer to help build their new Crossfire Retreat Center. We have spent the last 7 years working with the camp in the summertime but now my legacy at Wapogasset must come to an end as a summer resource person but we will continue to be involved as friends and supporters of Wapo.

We have taken on a new challenge in Rapid City, SD as liasons between the Black Hills Works population served and the Rapid City area religious community.

My time at Wapo with campers and also Tim Teamers has been a very important part of my ministry at Wapo. They are able to understand about persons with disabilities, not only in working with their own congregations but also as they go on into the workforce. My hope is that they will remember our conversations to include persons with disabilities. For the rest of the campers, it is my hope that they will remember me not because that I am so important but for the message that I gave as they remember that and integrate back into their communities and schools.

We are looking forward to be at Wapo's "Boat-In" on June 16th as I am speaking. I am also proud to say I will be 60 years old that day. I have arrived at mid-life and life is good.

You can connect with me at my email at by@bendandeson.com or my new Break Through Inc. Rapid City address:

Ben and Dee Anderson
Break Through Inc.
1761 Harmony Heights Lane, #105
Rapid City, SD 57702

May God Bless you all.

Dee and I in Rapid City,SD 2013

Rapid City from the hilltop at "Dinosaur Park".

1 comment:

  1. What a great summary of your time here at Wapo, Ben. It's hard to picture a summer without you! We're praying for you and Dee during this time of transition and finding your way in a new place and a new work! May God give wisdom, discernment and joy in all your doings! And the Dakota boy is back in the Dakotas! Nice.

    ReplyDelete